Click to Home


Go To Search

History of the City
The Early Day Boom Town
In December, 1901, the Santa Fe and Rock Island companies signed an agreement to meet on half-way ground in the Washita Valley, 25 miles northwest of Pauls Valley and 30 miles southeast of Chickasha.

In 1902, the first train rolled into Lindsay over the Santa Fe Railroad from Pauls Valley and in 1903, the Rock Island came into Lindsay from Chickasha.

Businesses
On January 12, 1902, cornstalks and sunflower stalks were cut down on the Lewis Lindsay farm to lay out the site for the Town of Lindsay. Several businesses such as lumber companies, hardware stores, grocery and dry good stores, a drug store with ice cream and a soda fountain, and hotels (rooming houses) were quickly established. Within a short time the first post office was built. Early in 1902, the First National Bank was organized and the first newspaper was published. Also in 1902, the Episcopal, Methodist, Christian, Baptist, and Catholic churches were organized. In 1924, the American Exchange bank opened in Lindsay, Oklahoma.

On January 30, 1920, local businesses joined together and incorporated a Chamber of Commerce for Lindsay, Oklahoma, with a membership of approximately 300.

Schools
The first school in Lindsay was a subscription school with 80 pupils. At this time in Indian Territory, there was no provision for free education of white children. Later, after statehood, the first free public school was established. Lindsay schools included many academic activities, sports, the Future Farmer of America (FFA), and 4-H clubs and provided a progressive high standard of education.

Planting Corn
In 1906, the first crop of broom corn was planted and did so well that broom corn became one of the major crops. Lindsay was know as the broom corn center of the world and Lindsay’s slogan became “Lindsay broom corn sweeps the world.” Workers that followed the broom corn harvest were called “Johnnies and Sallies.” Agriculture was also one of the main industries of Lindsay.

Oil
In 1945, Cities Service Oil Company brought in the first oil well in the vicinity. This touched off a drilling campaign, which has become known as the Golden Trend of Lindsay. Oil and related businesses remain vital to Lindsay’s economy today. There have been several oil booms through the years that have helped with the growth and progress of Lindsay.

Town to City
On January 23, 1947, the Town of Lindsay became a city and the proclamation was signed by Governor Roy J. Turner. The Charter of the City of Lindsay was ratified on June 20, 1947. Lindsay operates under the council-manager form of government. The City Council consists of seven members elected by a direct vote of the people and the mayor is appointed by the council.

Lindsay, Oklahoma, is known for its Brick Main Street with numerous businesses.

Lindsay, Oklahoma, is a colorful, cooperative, progressive city of varied businesses, and also includes ranchers and farmers.